Skip to main content

Lijiang, Yunnan

Cheap air fare comes with a cost - odd hour departure and/or arrival, unless you buy the ticket super early, like one year in advance. In my case, the flight arrived at 2am in Kunming. Since I won't be spending time in Kunming, so the best and sensible way was to fly there instead of taking the 10-hour train ride. Thus, I bought a LCC flight ticket bound for Lijiang via Ctrip website a month before. Apart from the chaotic boarding, Lucky Air service was satisfactory.

Arrived in Lijiang at 8am. Caught the airport bus just outside the arrival gate; bus fare to the city cost 20 yuan. The bus reached the city terminal which was near Xianggeli Avenue. Then took a cab ride to my hostel (which I think should be 2 km away), paid 10 yuan for the short ride, checked in into dormitory, and finally had a good nap (because I didn't have enough sleep the night before).

Woke up just after noon time. And spent the day wandering the old Dayan city, which was just across the road. Was very surprise with the size of the old town. The streets were quite clean as well. Public toilet was aplenty. And a lot of Chinese tourists too. If you are first time to China, Lijiang old town won't disappoint you.

Chaotic boarding. It was freezing out there.

Lijiang Sanyi Airport

View of Lijiang from hostel

One of the main streets in Dayan old town

The famous Lijiang bridge in the old town

Most of the houses have been converted into Chinese bars and restaurants

Street view in Dayan old town

Durian fruits are finding their way in China too

The snow caped mountain which is on the north side

Local natives doing the daily ritual communal dance

The north entrance, where water wheels are situated

Wine bar streets

Some Nazi tribe characters

Part of the main door decoration

Entrance to Mu-fu, part of the old town

Residence main entrance

Some streets were quite empty; Dec is a low season for travelling there.

The only exhibition church within the old town

Photos were taken with iPhone 6s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaoshiung

I haven't finished recounting my journey in Sweden and Japan; I returned from Taiwan just two weeks ago. Here's a brief account of my recent visit there (although I still have unfinished tale from last year trip to Taiwan). My first stop was Kaoshiung. Spent a day and a half in the town, then I travelled to Tainan for a weekend symposium. I ended my journey in Taipei for another short hike. The weather in Kaohsiung was quite hot, comparatively. It's not my favorite weather for traveling. Perhaps I arrived there too early; had I come a few days later, the temperature would have been cooler. Since day time was hot, it would be wise to visit Pier 2 area during evening or night. Not many people / tourists in this town. It looked quiet.  The next day, I took a ferry to Cijin. The ride was short, about 5 minutes. Cijin Island is a fisherman's village. On the opposite side of the island, there's a beach. It was serene but scorching, to the extent that I couldn't walk m

Xiangshan (Elephant Mountain)

 If Yangmingshan is too far or too adventurous for you, try Xiang Shan (literally means Elephant Mountain) which is right in the city. The place is accessible by MRT. Just get out from Xiangshan MRT station, walk towards the park and you will be at the entrance in no time. Follow the signpost along the way. Be prepared for a series of steep stairway. At the stop uphill, you can get the closest view of 101 Tower.  The starting point of Xiangshan All uphill climb Stairway to the top If you see this, you have arrived at the viewpoint Taipei 101 Tower View along the way Benches Posting as a sign of achievement Night view of 101

Qixingshan trail

Had a chance to visit Taiwan again in last November. It was an invitation to attend a symposium in Taichung. So I decided to take a few days to explore Taipei before the conference. But this round I opted for hiking experience. Thus, the search for easy access of hiking venues around Taipei city. One particular blog has provided most of the useful information for my trip: www.nickkembel.com. I picked Qixingshan trail in Yangmingshan National Park as my first choice for the hiking. It's easily accessible with moderate difficulty level of the hiking route. To get to Yangmingshan, one can opt for the public transport right below Jiantan MRT station. The Taipei Performing Arts Center is just opposite the bus stop areas. I took the S15 mini bus which is bound for Lengshuikeng. Waited a few minutes, the bus came. There were many locals heading to the national park on that day. So I had to stand for almost the entire journey. Got off at Lengshuikeng Visitor Center (which is the last two s